Friday, March 28, 2014

Reading is Important for Children

My love for reading started around fourth grade in school when a teacher took the time to teach me how to sound words out and help me read better. It wasn't a chore anymore and I fell in love with it. As a parent I made sure my kids were read to when they were little and then made sure they had books. They both are readers now, especially my daughter who, like her mother, never leaves home without a book. When my Grandkids came along I started reading to them from the day they were born. When they got older I bought them books. In fact my Granddaughter really began to read when I started buying books that were her own.  They are both adults now and they still read all the time. They still get books from me for their birthdays, Christmas and just any time I can get them one. My littlest Grandson is 2 yrs old and we have made sure he has books too. His mom takes him to the library all the time and he loves to go. I make sure he gets books of his own too and though I don't see him except on weekends I try to make sure we read something when I can. I have been thinking about getting on Skype and read to him but that has not happened yet.


I think it is so important for children to have books and to read. Start them young and hopefully they will learn to love books too. I have said all of this because I thought each week I would try to suggest a book for children and teens. I will not suggest any books that I have not read since I would not know if the content would be suitable. I hope if you have any suggestions for books for kids you will let me know.  I want to get our children back to reading and enjoying books as much as we do.


This week I was thinking the book for kids that my Grandkids loved in grade to middle school was the Charlie Bone series.


Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1)


Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King #1) by Jenny Nimmo is a great book if you like the unusual. Charlie Bone finds out he is a descendant of the Red King and all of the Red King's descendants have special abilities.  Charlie's father is gone and his mean Aunts make his life miserable. They send him to Bloor Academy which is for special kids, exceptionally smart kids. He finds things to be a little strange at the Academy and that there are secrets to the school, the kids, the Red King and his family. The book is full of magic, intrigue and suspense. If your kids like Fantasy with a little magic and mystery they will like this book and series.


I think that this is suitable for older children maybe grades 4-8 depending on the child. I read it because it was one of my Grandkids favorite books and they wanted me to read it. Reading books that your kids love and want to share with you is a great way of keeping them reading. I read this for that reason but found I enjoyed this book also.


The most important thing is to get the children to read and find something that will keep there interest. If fantasy is something they like then give this book and series a try.


Until Next Time:


GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE OR TEA, SOME CHOCOLATE, A GOOD BOOK AND KEEP ON READING!
LET'S GET OUR CHILDREN READING TOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment