Thursday, March 20, 2014

TBT One My All Time Favorite Authors and Book A Thief Of Time by Tony Hillerman



A Thief of Time (Navajo Mysteries, #8)
I have chosen a book I read while I was studying for my AA in Liberal Arts because of my interest in history, archaeology and southwest native American culture. This book combined all my interests as well as a good mystery. A Thief of Time Navajo Mystery #8 by Tony Hillerman is on of my favorite books. I enjoy all of his books but this one probably was one of my favorites.


I think I love this book because Tony Hillerman brings the southwest and Indian culture to life. I had a real interest in the Navajo and Anasazi and this book falls right into that interest.


An archaeologist is investigating an Anasazi site and is getting close to making a great discovery when she goes missing.  The archaeologist is accused of  being one of the thieves of time, which is what they call the thieves who are stealing and destroying artifacts from known Anasazi sites so Lt Joe Leaphorn goes to investigate and find out if she is stealing.    When Lt. Joe Leaphorn investigates he finds that the archaeologist  has gone  missing, The graves and ruins are being robbed but now with the archaeologist missing and add to that murder it makes for a remarkable mystery thriller. Tony Hillerman has a way of bringing the culture of the Navajo and Anasazi into his stories and this book is no exception. It is a book that is hard to put down.


I have to say that all of the Navajo Mystery series is excellent to read. Lt Joe Leaphorn and  Det. Jim Chee of the Navajo police are just enough different to bring an interesting mix into the story. Lt. Joe Leaphorn is a complex person who does not practice the Navajo ways and who is, in this book, trying to get on with his life after losing his wife Emma. He is well educated and is a great investigator. Det. Jim Chee is at times bumbling but a good investigator too.  He still is learning and practicing the ways of the Navajo people which makes him different and unique to the story.


I think if you love a great mystery and thriller.  Have any interest at all in the Southwest and the Navajo and Anasazi culture. If you love archaeology and anthropology then you need to read this book and this series.


It has been awhile since I read this book but I think it would be a great book to read again.


So till next time:


GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE OR TEA, SOME CHOCOLATE, A GOOD BOOK,  AND KEEP ON READING!





No comments:

Post a Comment