Thursday, July 25, 2013

My Attempt at Haley's Butter Cake from Agony of the Leaves A Tea Shop Mystery by Laura Childs

My Attempted at Haley's Butter Cake
Week 1 Cozy Mystery Recipe Challenge
 






I decided to make my first recipe Haley's Butter Cake taken from Agony of the Leaves A Tea Shop Mystery by Laura Childs  today for the Cozy Mystery Recipe Challenge. I had to change one thing in the recipe and that was in place of regular flour I used gluten free flour because I can not eat gluten due to having an allergy to gluten.

I first have to say that I do not have a big kitchen, I have a old oven in our apartment, and I don't own a mixer. That being said, I think all things considered this was an easy recipe to make. It is a challenge to mix it by hand because it is a thick batter, but not impossible. I think that the difference in flour always makes the outcome of a recipe just a little different, but this one worked well. I used Domata 
recipe ready gluten free flour and it worked well.

This is a dense almost pound cake like cake or sweet bread. I melted down some chocolate and drizzled my piece with the chocolate because anytime you can eat chocolate it a good time. My husband and grandson put a dab of apple butter my grandson had gotten from the farmers market on theirs. It was really good, I was thinking you could put strawberries or peaches on it also. The possibilities are endless. This is a top view it looks burnt but it isn't must be lighting.
 
 
This is after I turned it out of the pan and you can see a better picture. I must admit with the gluten free flour like all things made gluten free it starts out all big and pretty and then sinks some. Doesn't hurt the taste just the presentation.





This is a big hit and we will be making this again.

Don't forget to read the book you can get this recipe in the back of the book.  There are more recipes in it for biscuits, scones, and tea sandwiches. I will be reviewing the book next week.

Give this recipe a try and look for all of the Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Childs at
laurachilds.com

Next weeks challenge recipe will be announced Monday so keep following to find out what we will make next. Please leave a comment if you have a recipe from a Cozy Mystery you would like me to try.
Until then

GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE OR TEA, SOME CHOCOLATE, AND SOME BUTTER CAKE, A GOOD BOOK AND KEEP READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment